Wednesday, April 29, 2009

16 Weeks!


Well I have finally made it to week 16 and I am HUGE!!!! So I needed a break from work on Tuesday and decided to look up some baby stuff that I thought would be fun to read! Well I came upon some checklists and I thought, "Oh I love checklists! Let's see what I can start getting ready for!" So I first started with the daddy list, so I was going through it and thought, "ok I can help Luke with all of this, except what is the birth plan?" Every list I looked at it mentioned some sort of birth plan but never said what it was...anyone?? What the heck is that? Ok then I look at the hospital bag checklist and see I need to bring something to wear that I wouldn't mind throwing away later....had no idea, ok...then I need to bring some breast pads, forgot about those, ok....bring a book to read to pass the time during labor! what?? Am I really going to be reading??? Ok so at this point I start realizing that human I am growing inside me HAS TO COME OUT! I can't leave the hospital without that happening! Little freaked out...So then I move onto the baby proofing checklist....for those of you who have been to my house know that our house is nowhere near baby proof...how is that ever going to happen??? Danger everywhere! Help! Then it says I need to put together a few first aid kits to put basically anywhere I will be going. It says I should even put one in my diaper bag, so the first aid kit has about 40 items in it, but at the same time it says you don't need to pack the whole nursery either, but wont the first aid kit take up the whole diaper bag anyway?? Then when I started reading about what stuff I need for the nursery I realized I will actually be taking care of this child and that's when I ended the reading of the checklists! I was feeling so overwhelmed! It was a lot to take in all at once! Because at that point I really realized I have no idea how to be a mom! Any books I should be reading? Any advice for the hospital visit??? I need all the help I can get! Oh and I need to work out really bad, any advice there would be awesome too!
Anyway, just thought I would share that with everyone. It helps to get it out all my new fears and worries out in the open!

14 comments:

Traci said...

I can totally understand your worries. I am scared everytime I have a baby. Some advice: I never brought a book during labor, too much family coming in and out, you do not have to take breast pads to the hospital. Your milk does not come in until after you get home, in the diaper bag I just have diapers, fingernail clippers, extra clothes, lotion, diaper rash ointment, etc..., birth plan is how are you going to give birth...natural, epidural? Anyway, just me 2 cents. Good luck. Keep that baby in there as long as possible....they are easier in there. HA HA JK

Troy and Mandy said...

You look so cute!!! I love your baby bump...I can't wait to see you in person though! So I kinda know what the "birth plan" is, it's what you plan on doing for birth, like an epidural or natural and if the doctor has to use a vacuum or forceps, are you ok with that. So stuff like that, it's just having answers to questions that the doctor may ask you and how you would like your birth to go. I hope that helps you a little bit!
Anyway...I miss you so much and I'm glad you're blogging about your pregnancy since I don't get to see you a whole lot or talk to you very much. I'm glad that everything is going well and I can't wait to know what you're having!!!

Thorpe Family said...

OK, step away from the check list!!! HAHA So, about being in the hospital. Bring something to entertain you is basically what is needed, travel games, books, movies (some hospitals have these) etc. My sister was in her bed for 24 hours so we played a lot of skipbo! Also, don't stress about babyproofing, You have 8 or 9 months until that baby is mobile after they are born, no need to rush into it now. Also, walking is the best excercise for pregos. Just make sure when you feel tired you don't push yourself! And at the store you can get a first aid kit that is about 3"x3". I have one in my purse, that is all you need in your bag. Hope this helps! BTW I know you will be a great mom!!!

Jessica said...

Marie you make me laugh. I worked at the hospital in mom/baby for 4 years and I would say only about 5% of the people that came in had a birthplan - and they are the ones that don't want an epidural, you can't use certain words, and they didn't want any monitoring on the baby. I personally wouldn't worry about that one.

Don't take breast pads - if you need them they have some you can use.

You can wear a hospital gown the entire time -- and therefore won't need clothes to throw away -- but if you want to wear something else you might not want to take the best you have.

If you have any questions about your hospital stay give me a call -- or e-mail me

I'm glad all is going well.

Melissa said...

Holy Cow, I can't believe how big you've gotten! I'm only saying it since you've said it. And, I wanted to comment on the baby proofing thing. I just watched Super Nanny last night and she said you don't have to start baby proofing until they show signs of crawling. So, you do have some time. One baby step at a time.

{McGinty's} said...

I love to see your little prego belly!!! Trust me you must be a better prepared mom then I am because you are already searching those things....I am due in two days and barely realizing I should be studying up on some things. shame on me:) You will be a great mom!!!

Troy and Mandy said...

I know!!! I've been lazy/busy and haven't wanted to post it because it's gonna be long and take me forever! But I'm just gonna do highlights from the trip and add a few pictures. If I have time, I'll do it tonight...but I will for sure do it before the end of this week...so keep checkin!!!
I'm SOOOO excited to see you on Saturday too!!!!! I don't think a whole lot of people are gonna show up, so it will be just a small group...so we'll get to visit! Yay!

Anonymous said...

Marie! I'm so excited for you. I can email you a copy of my birth plan if you want an example to look at, just send me an email.
Amanda Bjarnson

Ashlee said...

You are so funny- you look great! I have absolutely nothing ready for the baby, and I'm getting quite nervous that it won't be done in time! I don't have a written birth plan and probably won't...I guess I only have preferences on a few things and am just trusting the doctor. I don't think most people actually have a written one in hand...you mostly discuss that stuff with your doctor. You'll get everything done and do great! And don't worry- you don't need to pack your hospital bag yet:) Congrats on making it so far!!

Shawna said...

Don't stress so much. First of all you won't need to think about baby proofing until the child is at least 8 months old anyway and all the crap they say you need to have in the diaper bag isn't necessary. Some diaper rash cream, lotion, neosporin, infant tylenol & nail clippers would be the most you'd probably need in the 1st aid kit for the diaper bag. I didn't read a lot of info books when I was expecting but that's just me. Maybe that's my problem! lol Maybe a book or magazine for labor but I didn't pack one, I just watched TV "Remember the Titans". When it was time for me to start pushing the dr. asked me to turn the TV off! lol Good luck and I'll get you some necessities...don't worry :)

And...I just wanted to let you know I changed our blog address to www.kyleandshawnaslife.blogspot.com for safety reasons!

Melinda said...

Cute bump! Holy cow, reading your checklist got me stressed and I'm already through the birthing process. Ok, forget the first aid kit in the diaper bag. I didn't have to throw away any outfits...breast pads are definitely good, but the hospital provided mine. Bring a nursing bra. You should really take a birthing class because mine was totally great and made me feel a lot more at ease because I knew what to expect. You should also read "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and "Babywise". Hopefully that will help you feel a little more prepared. Don't worry though, you'll know what to do when the time comes. :) You're going to be a great mom.

SaRah G. said...

you are so cute! I'm a list person too!!! haha! Wish I could help you out in that department... but I got nothin! I'll work on something though! =)

Becca said...

Um...where have I been? I didn't even know you were pregnant Marie! Holy Talito! Congratulations! P.S. Send me your e-mail so I can add you to my blog! rebeccafager@gmail.com

Adam and Ashley said...

You are so cute prego! I want to see a new picture of the baby bump each month :)